Now that I've been there, perhaps it's time to read Kierkegaard.

Via a 30 minute train ride over the Öresund strait, travelers from Sweden can easily make it to Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark. I had the opportunity to spend the day there walking through the historic center. The famous Strøget shopping streets form a backbone of the central city, with many swanky shops, street performers, and beautiful squares. The canal to the east is lined with sailboats much like in Amsterdam. Then a little to the west you have the king's gardens surrounding a small castle where hundreds of people lay out in the sun, playing and picnicking in the grass.

Over the course of the day I never managed to try any distinctly Danish foods, most places served a more international fare, which wasn't such a problem as I can always go for some good Asian cuisine. It's astounding how expensive the alcohol is though. In some places beer costs almost as much as the meal, which was already about three times as expensive as in Prague. Perhaps I have been spoiled by one dollar beers.

Finally, if you have any desire to see the famous Little Mermaid statue, you're going to have to travel to Shanghai. I would have been more upset about this if I had any idea there was such a statue before.

No comments: